25° 50.957' N
80° 04.647' W
February 12, 1971
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM TRAINING
Built in 1919-20 for the U.S. Army Quartermaster Department at Fabricated Ship Building, Milwaukee, WI.
Launched in 1920
Named in honor of Col. Albert Todd, a distinguished artilleryman and commander of the Eastern Artillery District 1910–11
Assigned to the North Pacific Coast Artillery District, 4 May 1920
Accepted for service by the Quartermaster Corps, 20 September 1920, commissioned USAMP Col. Albert Todd, Capt. Edward E. Murphy, USA, in command
Allocated to the U.S. Army Coast Artillery Corps, Mine Planter Service
Departed Milwaukee in October 1920, arrived at Army Supply Base, Brooklyn, N.Y., in November 1920, typically docked at Pier #6 at Hoboken, N.J.
Further assigned to the Coast Defenses of Puget Sound, 9 November 1920 but never actually served at that location
Transferred in April 1921 to Fort Totten, N,Y.
Transferred in September 1921 to Fort Wood, N.Y.
Decommissioned, 6 October 1924 at Fort Wood, N.Y., transferred to the U.S. Lighthouse Service, Department of Commerce
Absorbed into the US Coast Guard, 1 July 1939, Commissioned USCGC Lotus (WAGL-229)
The Lotus was based out of Boston until 1941, when she transferred to Chelsea, Massachusetts.
During World War II, the tender laid buoys and anti-submarine nets to assist convoys rallying at Newfoundland, and later conducted standard work in the Caribbean
Decommissioned by U.S. Coast Guard and sold 11 June 1947 to A.F. Peavy, Minneapolis, M.N.
After a period of service with private owners, the Lotus was abandoned on the Miami River.
February 12, 1971: Miami‐Dade County, in an effort to remove some of the derelict vessels along the Miami River, loaded the rusting Lotus with explosives and had it blown up at sea approximately two miles offshore
USAMP Col. Albert Todd (1920)
The wreck of the Lotus now rests upright and intact in 235 feet of water.