25° 41.276' N
80° 04.048' W
May 30, 1986
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM TRAINING
Launched: 1942 as a car/passenger ferry by the Burger Boat Company of Manitowoc, Wisconsin.
The first all ‐steel, all‐welded passenger boat of its kind on the Great Lakes, she was built to replace the Erie Island Ferry Company’s vessel Erie Isle on the run between Catawba Island, Put-In-Bay, and Middle Bass.
Had room onbard for 335 passangers and 20 cars.
1950: Sold to the Fishers Island Ferry District of New York.
1978: traded to the Blount Marine Corporation of Warren, Rhode Island
July 1979: sold to Donald Marshall of Fort Lauderdale, so The Mystic Isle arrived in Florida
Late 1979: sold to Starboard Navigation Company of Panama, who converted her into a fishing vessel.
June 2nd, 1984: U.S.C.G.C. Diligence seized the Mystic Isle about 100 miles northeast of Miami when she was found carrying a load of marijuana.
The wreck of the Mystic Isle sits upright and intact off Virginia Key. The small wreck is easy to penetrate through the large automobile opening in her hull just below the wheelhouse. Just off the stern and to the north of the wreck rests the yacht Esmeralda. It is possible for experienced divers to visit both wrecks on the same dive should they be using scooters or if a swift, north current is running.